Top 10 List of Errors
- Forgetfulness, because we just weren’t concentrating. Avoided by checking at regular intervals.
- Lack of Understanding, where we jump to the wrong conclusion before becoming familiar with the situation. Avoided by standardized work instructions and training.
- Identification Errors, where we view things too quickly or are too far away to see it clearly. Avoided by training, vigilance, and just plain paying attention.
- Errors made by Amateurs, where the lack of experience gets in the way of doing things correctly. Avoided by standardized operations and skill building.
- Willful Errors, which are often caused by poor judgment, ignoring rules, and taking shortcuts. Avoided by basic education, training, and experience.
- Inadvertent Errors, where we take a mental vacation and absentmindedly make mistakes without even noticing that we did. Avoided by paying attention, discipline, and standardized operations.
- Errors caused by Slowness, where our actions are slowed by delays in judgment. We just weren’t sure what to do next. Avoided by building skills and standardized operations.
- Errors caused by Lack of Standards, where mistakes are made because specifications, requirements, and instructions aren’t suitable or available. Avoided by standardized operations, policies, procedures, and work instructions.
- Surprise Errors, where the process just isn’t running as expected. Avoided by preventive maintenance, productive maintenance, and standardized operations.
- Intentional Errors, where a few people deliberately make mistakes as in crimes and sabotage. Avoided by fundamental education and discipline.
Poka Yoke five best practices for Process and Design are:
- Guide pins (location and/or size)
- Error detection and alarms
- Limit switches
- Self fixturing
- Multi-functional parts
- Minimizing part variation
- Symmetrical parts
- In-sensitive to part variation
Utilizing the best practices of Poka Yoke can lead the way for your work environment to achieve zero defects.
Want to learn more? Become a member of Educate Virtually and have access to over 100 courses. Subscriptions are either monthly or annual for extra savings. Sign Up Today!